Patient Services Specialist (Surgery)
Patient Services Specialist (Surgery)
Org Level 1
Texas Tech Unv Hlth Sci Ctr El Paso
This position is responsible for assuring smooth operation of the clinic patient flow and serves as the primary contacts for patients. Responsible for scheduling appointments, preparing necessary paperwork before the patient visits, receiving patients, and maintaining records. In addition, this position is responsible for processing charges for clinic services, filing insurance claims, responding to requests for information from patients and insurance companies and maintaining related information for the department. Employees in this classification receive general supervision. Most work is performed according to established procedures; problems of an unusual nature are referred to supervisor. Ability to communicate effectively internally and externally. Ability to understand and follow instructions. Work is performed in usual clinic conditions and requires a high degree of contact with patients, HSC staff and insurance companies. Employees have cash handling responsibilities.
Up to 25%
- Greets patients, performs registration of patients, to include update of demographics data, financial data, insurance, and any other third payer information. Scan picture ID and insurance cards into EMR application. Register, arrive, no show, and cancel patients in the Centricity Business and Phreesia system after each clinic session for daily report. Review and ensure completeness of consent forms for treatment and patient responsibility forms
- Receives all incoming telephone calls through the AVAYA system for Ophthalmology clinic, screens, creates phone notes in EMR, and directs to staff and faculty as appropriate
- Schedules patient appointments as necessary. Cancels and re-schedules appointments according to changes on physician's schedules in Centricity Business. Must display excellent telephone etiquette, communication, and customer service skills
- Notifies supervisor of any changes in daily appointments and communicates of all patient issues pertaining to schedules
- Coordinates referral appointments to and from other medical facilities to include those referrals received through the RMS system. Maintains and files patient's referrals and/or consults for future appointments
- Verifies and updates managed care plan and/or insurance information into patient’s account. Assures authorizations are obtained for coverage of office visit or diagnostic testing with appropriate ICD-10 and CPT codes needed
- Responsible to collect patient's copayments for office visits, diagnostic testing, and/or outstanding balances. Prepares daily deposit, obtains departmental approval, and submits deposits to MPIP department
- Trains existing and/or new employees in the registration and processing of patients or any other job related job duties. Assist in covering other clinics with the Surgery Department. Attend community health fairs or represent Surgery Department at any TTUHSC committees or meetings
Minimum Hire Rate
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
HSC - El Paso
Surgery Dept Elp Genl
Resume / CV
Compensation is commensurate upon the qualifications of the individual selected and budgetary guidelines of the hiring department, as well as, the institutional pay plan. For additional information, please reference the institutional pay plan on the Human Resources webpage.
Information and Records Clerks
As an EEO/AA employer, the Texas Tech University System and its components will not discriminate in our employment practices based on an applicant’s race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information or status as a protected veteran.
- A minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent
- At least three years of general office experience
- At least one year of general office experience in a clinic or physician's office
- At least 90 days service at TTUI-ISC as a Patient Services Trainee, documented completion of all relevant IDX training and a recent performance appraisal on file with a rating of meeting or exceeding expectations
Does this position work in a research laboratory?
Navy Enlisted Classification Code
Air Force Specialty Code
Marine Military Occupational Specialty Code
Jeanne Clery Act
The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act is a federal statute requiring colleges and universities participating in federal financial aid programs to maintain and disclose campus crime statistics and security information. By October 1 of each year, institutions must publish and distribute their Annual Campus Security Policy & Crime Statistics Report (ASR) to current and prospective students and employees. You can locate this report through our website at: https://www.ttuhsc.edu/emergency/clery-report.aspx.